PDA

View Full Version : Installing a windshield

HighwayThunder
10-04-2015, 10:24 AM
When installing a windshield does one put the sealing compound between the body and the rubber gasket AND between the windshield and the rubber gasket?

Cheers,

Yadkin
10-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Yes. You need to install the clips on the upper edge first. Best leave the glass install to a pro.

HighwayThunder
10-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks, Yadkin, for the advice re the trim clips.

After doing some research about windshield installation I decided to have a go at the back window as a test case (less risk) and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

I used the 3/16” nylon rope method. One needs to have another person pushing in on the glass while you’re pulling out the rope. However, a single person can do both by using a body-work suction cup to pull the glass inward while pulling out the rope. The real secret is to spray the gasket and body flange with silicone lubricant -- the gasket slides smoothly over the flange. The windshield was just as easy.

All this was prep for installing the reworked dash, which will be the topic of an upcoming post entitled “How Not To Restore Your Cracked Vinyl.”

Cheers,

Yadkin
10-09-2015, 10:12 AM
The pros (Glass Doctor) who did mine used plenty of "soft seal", which is a kalonite clay based caulk made by 3M. It's a similar formula to strip caulk, non-hardening, just a lost less viscous. They make at least two different caulk tube grades, and they used the softer of the two.

Also, the windshield seal that I bought from Macs was too stiff- and Glass Doctor didn't like it at all. They ordered one from Dennis Carpenter that worked much better.