PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Buying a 1960 Squarebird

GH-Java
07-19-2015, 02:09 AM
Hi All,
I am looking to buy a 1960 Squarebird Hardtop with cost of around $15,000 or less. It needs to be a decent working driver with working AC, either OEM or aftermarket, that will not need any additional immediate repairs to the car. It can have a 352ci engine or a 390ci, but would prefer it not to have the 430MEL engine because of parts availability and repair costs. If it does not have AC installed then I will have to factor adding an aftermarket AC unit also into that expense (app. $3,000). I am not a mechanic. I desire one that has been garaged and driven on a regular basis to maintain it. Not one that has been sitting for years and will require a lot of work and expense to get it back into operation. I am looking for a car that is original or one that has been well maintained, fully repaired or restored to good operating condition that can be driven back to my home. Not one that will require it to be transported to me because it is non-operational. I am looking for one in my Northern California area, within the State, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon or States close by me.

As for external and internal colors, such as pinks, teals or purples they are out. Blacks, blues, whites, shades of light greens, grays, shades of light yellow, or reds are in, with matching interior colors. I realize that manually operated seats and windows are less problematic, but if the car has powered options that work well, I am okay with that.

A limiting factor for me is funds and time, as I am still working, so I cannot run all over the State and areas around me readily to go look at cars. If I find a good candidate I would like to ask those of you on the Forum for help in taking a look at the candidate online, or if you live in that area, to personally inspect it, if possible, to get your opinion of it. If it turns out to be what I am looking for then I could also hire a company to perform an inspection for me. I would like to take advantage of your aggregate wisdom before I hire this company to do its inspection.

In many ways, I appreciate the opportunity to have my dream classic car. I do appreciate your interest in helping me out. I hope this gives you a decent picture of what I am looking for. Hopefully, someone out there has what I am looking for, has given it a good home, taken very good care of it, but is now looking to pass it on to someone who will maintain and cherish it for years to come, as I will. Thank you all for your help. G.H.

roger59tb
07-19-2015, 11:13 AM
I'd suggest that you look at Craigslist for the L.A. area and for the surrounding area. There are several good prospects (including one in particular, in La Crescenta) that would bear consideration.

YellowRose
07-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks, Roger, that is the kind of information G.H. needs. Where to find them at. He has been using information on the Forum and in the TRL to help him and decided he needed to join us. He has printed out the Vehicle Check List to help him in his search. He is aware of the problem with rust with these old vehicles and what to look for. He has printed out the 7 Deadliest Mistakes in looking for a Classic Car to help him. Also the info on finding trusty Auto Transport companies should he need one. He just needs some help in trying to find a good candidate preferably somewhere fairly close by that he can get to on a weekend, and check out the car for himself. Or if it happens to be in one of our members backyards, perhaps ask them to check it out also. Anything ya'll can do to help him find a good '60 Squarebird will certainly be appreciated! They are out there, but ya gotta dig for them!

I sent GH links to a number of '60 Tbirds in the LA area. Some are out of his price range, others he would not want to consider. But there are a few he may want to check out.

Dan Leavens
07-19-2015, 04:59 PM
To chime in on GH'S selection of a potential 60 squarebird,at the end of the day, he will have to visually see the classic for a variety of reasons. More specifically to have a mechanic run a diagnostic on the engine / check that the body is straight and most Importantly he is happy with the purchase:)
As he mentioned, he is not mechanically inclined and will have to set a budget aside for some repairs and parts to be included in the end game purchase for this driver. It can be done with the assistance of qualified mechanic and / or info from our site. Craiglist is a good starting point as well as TBrd clubs in his area.
Good Luck DH

YellowRose
07-19-2015, 05:21 PM
H Dan, and thank you for your input. Yes, he will need to check out anything he is serious about obtaining. Either by visiting it and inspecting it himself, with a mechanic friend, or having it checked out by a company that specializes in inspecting classic cars being considered for purchase. He is hoping that he can find one fairly close to him to make it easier to do so. I understand that he has some friends who he can rely on for their mechanical knowledge of cars to help him. I had not thought about putting him in contact with Tbird clubs in his area, but that is a great idea and I will see what I can come up with in that respect. Hopefully, our Forum members know of '60 Hardtops that are available for sale in his general area and will continue to let us know. We are also hoping that if he does find something that he becomes serious about, that someone on the Forum might be willing to check it out for and with him also. He does have our Vehicle Check List printed out and the 7 Dangers of Buying Classic Cars, (or whatever I titled it!) also. So he has those guidelines to work with.

RustyNCa
07-21-2015, 11:42 AM
There was a raven black 60 for sale here in Redding, can't get much closer than that. It's a sunroof car with a continental package on it. I don't remember what the guy wanted for it, but it was in decent shape except I didn't like the continental kit, or the big mural he had painted on the tire cover.

He shows up at most cars shows so I will keep an eye out for him.

Cheers
RustyNCA

YellowRose
07-24-2015, 12:29 AM
GH has found his Squarebird, but it is not a '60! See Our Rides to see what he got!

Tbird1044
07-24-2015, 01:47 AM
Looks like GH found a really nice car. I'm impressed all the way down to the detail of how well the trunk liner pattern is aligned. Hope we continue to hear how he does with the new purchase.

Nyles