PDA

View Full Version : 60 TBird Resto

Tbird1044
06-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Well, I've always been told that patience is a virtue. The body is finally in the spray booth and is supposed to get painted tomorrow. The doors, trunk, hood and many of the small parts are already painted and being color sanded. I'm past 9 months in the body shop to this point. We did end up replacing the rear 1/4 panel and also the right front fender.
I'll try and do a thread like Tim did with his resto. We'll see how it goes during the reassemble of this project.
I sure have a lot of parts ready to go back on the car.
Nyles

Wudro
06-26-2015, 10:08 PM
We'll be watching! I'm sure your stoked on the body. A long time coming.

Dan Leavens
06-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Nyles patience may be a virtue but the results will be outstanding:D Can't wait to see the pixs.

Restifier52
06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Hi Nyles. I was looking for another pair of jack stands in the pictures that I believe should be placed under the front leaf spring perches. The unibody doesn't have enough strength to carry the car from the very back. When I jack my car up and support it that way with scissor jacks I can watch the back gaps on the doors widen and narrow as I raise and lower the jacks placed under the perches. Congratulations on finally getting to paint.

Daleo56
06-27-2015, 08:57 PM
The cars is looking great Nyles. Let me know when I can come over and visit!

Tbird1044
07-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Well, I've always been told that patience is a virtue. The body is finally in the spray booth and is supposed to get painted tomorrow. The doors, trunk, hood and many of the small parts are already painted and being color sanded. I'm past 9 months in the body shop to this point. We did end up replacing the rear 1/4 panel and also the right front fender.
I'll try and do a thread like Tim did with his resto. We'll see how it goes during the reassemble of this project.
I sure have a lot of parts ready to go back on the car.
Nyles

This is Real Progress.
Soon I will have the "Ikea" car. Some assembly required.
Nyles

Daleo56
07-01-2015, 11:46 PM
You have excellent choices in years and colors my friend. I hope to see you soon. Will it be ready for September 19th, 2015 (http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19050)?

Joe Johnston
07-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Sure looks awesome! Nothing is better than new paint.

keith
07-02-2015, 04:11 PM
It sure looks nice. Now the fun part begins.

olevet
07-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Beautiful
Im in that stage with mine

Tbird1044
07-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Beautiful
Im in that stage with mine
Mines been in the body shop for 10 months now. Looks like I'm finally getting close to getting the car back.

Nyles

pcjr
07-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Looks like it has been well worth the wait. Finally released from "paint jail" :)

Tbird1044
08-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Well, I might actually be looking at light at the end of the tunnel. Went to the body shop today and they told me they would like it out by the end of the week. Think that may be a bit optimistic, but we will see. If not, should be early next week.
Then the fun begins... reassembling the Ikea car (some assembly required). LOL
I have lots of parts ready to go back on the car, so I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of late nights in the garage and a lot of posts asking where this should go.
Nyles

jopizz
08-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Reassembly is supposed to be the fun part. At least that's what I've been told.

John

simplyconnected
08-06-2015, 04:15 AM
Reassembly is supposed to be the fun part......and it is when all the parts are cleaned up or new. The hardest and most expensive part is cleaning, derusting, painting or plating the parts.

Assembly goes fast if you do it in the right order. Motorcycle assembly is a real testiment to, building in the right order. - Dave

Dan Leavens
08-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Nyles yes now the fun part begins. She is looking good:D

Daleo56
08-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Let me know when you want me to come over!

Tbird1044
08-06-2015, 11:26 PM
I've tried to prepare myself as much as I could. Nothing is ever 100%. Hopefully, reassembly will go well.
Nyles

simplyconnected
08-07-2015, 03:59 AM
Mrs. Nyles will be thrilled to get her house back.

bird 60
08-07-2015, 07:06 AM
C'mon Dave, what's more important.:D::rolleyes:

Chris.....From OZ.

simplyconnected
08-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Hey, mine tolerates newly chromed bumpers under our bed as long as they're out of sight. Today, she said the dryer lost its belt, so I immediately jumped in the car and bought the finest clothesline money could buy. Keep those clean clothes comin', hunny... I put the belt on 'the list' and I'll get to it ASAP.

Happy wife, happy life... I did hear one comment from Robin, "Those shirts sure do smell nice after hanging outside..."

Dan Leavens
08-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Mr. Dare you are a wise man. I agree " Happy wife Happy life ":D

Tbird1044
08-14-2015, 08:03 PM
Well, I might actually be looking at light at the end of the tunnel. Went to the body shop today and they told me they would like it out by the end of the week. Think that may be a bit optimistic, but we will see. If not, should be early next week.
Then the fun begins... reassembling the Ikea car (some assembly required). LOL
I have lots of parts ready to go back on the car, so I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of late nights in the garage and a lot of posts asking where this should go.
Nyles

Finally back in my garage after 11 months/4days.
I think the priorities will be the front and rear glass, tail lights, headlights and bumpers. With that on the car it should be street legal to move it around. Sounds simple enough ;-)
Sometimes I feel like I got it back for Ikea...Some assembly required. LOL
Nyles

simplyconnected
08-14-2015, 11:13 PM
Your car body looks great. At the factory, each car is well planned out before the build starts, to save money and time.

The order in which assembly progresses is very important. From 'Paint', the first thing added is all the wiring harnesses. Which harness? The one that suits all the options that were ordered.

Since 1960, options have expanded. You need to think ahead to accommodate the future. If your visors or the mirror will have vanity lights, add extra wires. How about a backup camera, trunk light, etc.

If this were my car I would run two #6 copper stranded wires from the battery area to the trunk. One can be bare, mounted to the floor with #14 taps going to general areas like the dash, power seat motor, windows, etc., and ending in the trunk for the fuel tank and light housings.

The other #6 can be red and fused for 60-amps at the battery. Add a few extra #14 wires to your harnesses. I never heard anyone complain that their car has too many spare wires.

The headliner needs to go in before glass. In my Fords, the headliner goes underneath the glass seals. After 'glass', try out all your electrical devices and if ok, install the carpet and trim. - Dave

Tbird1044
08-14-2015, 11:22 PM
The squarebirds have the tack strips all around to attach the headliner. I didn't think it made any difference if the windshield and rear window were installed.
Any one that had gone through this process, do you have any comments. I know Daleo56 had his headliner installed and both of his windows were definitely in the car.
Nyles

Tbird1044
08-19-2015, 10:12 PM
The squarebirds have the tack strips all around to attach the headliner. I didn't think it made any difference if the windshield and rear window were installed.
Any one that had gone through this process, do you have any comments. I know Daleo56 had his headliner installed and both of his windows were definitely in the car.
Nyles

My new door handles and gaskets are both DC. The fit is terrible. I worked with the door handles, and after a little grinding here and there, they actually fit a bit better. Then came the gaskets. I now know why some here have just used black silicone and threw the gaskets away. I finally got the gaskets in a fit that I can live with, but will still fill in the gaps with some black silicone. It's a shame to spend all that money and have to go through this. I know there have been some other recent posts about these gaskets. I'll attach some pics of what I am ending up with. When I get both handles installed, I'll include some pics of the finished product.
Nyles

Daleo56
08-20-2015, 10:49 AM
I had my headliner installed after the glass. I also had issues with the gaskets for the door handles. The ones I bought from Larry's do not see to be sized well.

I will be out in your area this weekend with my Thunderbird doing my 100 mile test drive. I will text you while I am down in Torrance. :)

Tbird1044
08-23-2015, 11:57 PM
The car is coming together pretty nice. Put the rear bumper on today and will try and do some final tweaking before I tighten all the bolts.
I also included a few pics of my door handles with gaskets. They are a challenge, but ended up being okay with the final results.
Nyles

Daleo56
08-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Looks really good in the sun! I hope this coming weekend is when I can get down there!

simplyconnected
08-24-2015, 01:25 AM
I had my headliner installed after the glass. I also had issues with the gaskets for the door handles. The ones I bought from Larry's do not see to be sized well...

There are many ways to skin a cat. You are certainly welcome and at liberty to assemble your car any way you want. I only suggested the way that Ford originally built your car, right or wrong. I use Ford as the standard for their parts and processes. Re-pop parts are rarely identical to OEM so again, you can have your original parts stripped and re-chromed. They always seem to fit perfectly and look fantastic or you can buy cheap parts from Taiwan that kinda work.

What's up with the oil cooler? - Dave