PDA

View Full Version : heater motor not working

chris58
06-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Final thing to now get working is my heater motor. I have power to the terminals but no action from the motor itself. Any ideas, best way to check etc.
Apart from a new radio this is my last piece of the seemingly never ending wiring puzzle.
Then I can tidy up and not look at again for a long long time.
Thanks Chris.

Joe Johnston
06-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Can you turn the motor by hand or is it seized?

If it turns with difficulty you may get lucky and add a drop of oil on the exposed shaft end and drill a small hole in the case on the opposite end. Add a drop of oil through the hole and rotate the shaft and move it back and forth for a couple of minutes. It may start to turn easily enough to start and run on its own and you won't have to take it apart.

If not, it will need to be disassembled to see what is wrong or replaced.

simplyconnected
06-03-2015, 08:07 AM
That's pretty general. HOW did you connect the wires? Does the motor shaft spin freely? Is the motor's ground wire connected to a solid ground?

How did you check the motor leads? Did you put a load on the wires (like a good-size light bulb)? There is a fuse next to the switch. Did you check it?

chris58
06-03-2015, 04:33 PM
I actually haven't touched the factory wiring, it's still all connected. Basically I turned the heater fan switch on and checked the terminals behind the switch with a test light, I had power there, just no action from the fan.
I'm guessing I'll need to remove heater unit from engine bay and check that end.
I haven't checked the fan itself yet, that'll be something to check. Can that be done with unit still in car.

simplyconnected
06-04-2015, 01:00 PM
The heater motor has three wires; orange, red and black. The black wire should be connected to a solid ground. Red is slow speed and orange is fast.

There is a bullet connector on the black ground wire at the motor.