PDA

View Full Version : Mission from God

Ca58tbird
04-13-2015, 05:05 PM
4-13-15

Dear Bird Friends,

Yeah, appears the good Lord’s got me movin’ on, so now am in kind of a big hurry to straighten out my final affairs which includes selling my 1958 Tbird Hardtop and my 1948 Dodge Panel Van. Selling these vehicles now will alleviate my heirs the hassle in being forced to sell them. Last week I was diagnosed at Abbott Northwestern Hospital Cancer Center in Minneapolis with incurable pancreatic cancer. A port was installed in my right shoulder and I will start chemo Tuesday 4-14-15. My life expectancy has suddenly been drastically shortened. No telling how long I’ll be. Could be 6 months, could be 4-10 more years. I am now on a mission from God. Only He knows for sure. ‘How precious did that Grace appear the hour I first believed?’

So now that spring may finally be here, I will get the bird started and pull it out of it storage garage so that I can clean and detail it, change fluids, check brakes and putz with a bunch of other stuff in order to prepare it for sale. My cousin Sue runs the Route 65 Classics in Blaine, MN http://route65classics.com . We’ll trailer the bird to her showroom and she’ll sell if for me. I’ll ask her for an exclusive for any Squarebirds.org buyers. Later this summer I’ll get the 48 Dodge panel van up to her also. Please contact me directly at either 612-708-2144 or askhow@aol.com

‘We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise than when we’d first begun.’ I am at peace with this whole new turn in my life, yet it is beyond understanding. But I know it’s God’s will and His peace.

DKheld
04-13-2015, 05:59 PM
Jed,

Wish I could find the words to express how I feel. Guess I can only say that if I'm ever faced with the same situation - I'll handle it half as well as you have explained.

I'm sure all will go fine with the cars.

Numbers 6:24

Eric

YellowRose
04-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Jed, words cannot express well enough how I felt when I read your post... I will echo Eric's words and hope that I also can face what is in store for me down the road with as much grace as you have. Good luck with moving the cars and I hope they find themselves in a good home, where someone will give them the love and care you have...

Dutchbird
04-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Jed,

Too many thoughts less words...

bird 60
04-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Very sad to hear about your diagnosis Jed. I wish you the very best with your treatment.

Chris

Joe Johnston
04-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Just hope I too can handle things as well when my time comes. All my best to you and yours!

Ca58tbird
04-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Eric and all, thank you for the blessing and thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. I'll need all I can get. Clothe me in the armor of the Lord with your prayers.

On the lighter side, I wish I could request the same of the IRS. Tomorrow's tax day and I am sending them a check.

Again, thank you all!

scumdog
04-14-2015, 04:14 AM
May you live an active life for longer than anybody thinks you will, all the best in everything in your life.

fomoco59
04-14-2015, 07:20 AM
So sorry Jed. You are in our prayers.

Dan Leavens
04-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Jed I too am at a loss for words. Our thoughts and prayers from the squarebird.org family are with you during this time.

Yellowbird
04-14-2015, 03:46 PM
My and Debbie's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm encouraged for you seeing your faith and how you are responding. Your words are inspiring and comforting to the rest of us.

By the way, we really do enjoy riding in comfort on Jed Zimmerman foam!

We wish you well with the treatments.

YellowRose
04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
And those who have them enjoy steering these ole Tbirds of ours with a re-manufactured steering wheel! Mine that you did for me still looks like brand spanking new after several years! Great work!

63Tealbird
04-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Jed best wishes with Chemotherapy fight the good fight there is always hope

dgs
04-23-2015, 10:36 PM
So sorry to hear, I wish you the best in your treatment.

keith
04-24-2015, 07:08 PM
So sorry to read this news. You are in my prayers.

Ian M Greer
04-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Jed, I have been out of the loop for a while fighting ongoing health issues . I think things are turning around for me now but I admire your positive attitude and I strongly believe one's own will power and determination go a long way . I'm with you all the way , thinking of you in a very positive way , stay strong your northern neighbor Ian M Greer .

simplyconnected
04-25-2015, 06:20 AM
Jed, since the day you posted the doctor's findings I have kept you in my prayers every day. My brother's boy, Rev. Paul Dare, is a (Missouri Synod) Lutheran Pastor in St. Cloud, MN. If you would like, I'm sure he would pray with you in person. I believe prayer changes things and nothing is impossible with God. Let me know. - Dave

Ca58tbird
04-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Here's a brief update for all and thanks to all for your prayer every day along the way. Dr.'s experience, knowledge and God's will is all I have now. I feel stronger the armour of your prayer. Been thru chemo 2Xs now and 3rd time this coming Tuesday. had some bad days for chemo reaction and some good days. It's not as bad as it will get the Drs. tell me. I'm still smiling and have a tee time tomorrow for 18 holes. Life's been good to me so far.

And Dave, thanks for sending me Paul's name and contact. Have you ever had an atta-boy or pat-on-the-back from God? Well your letter this morning, I knew right away was an attay-boy. When I read it I felt a tingly little bell go off. I printed the letter off and took it to church and asked our Assoc. Pastor if she knew Paul Dare. It was just an inkling, a question I had to ask her. Her name is Ellie McCallister. She is the assoc pastor in our Faith Luthern Church LCMC. Her husband Paul McCallister is the head pastor at a Missouri Synod LCMS church in St. Cloud. Ellie smiled and replied "yes Paul Dare is the associate pastor with my husband in St. Cloud." When she told me this I kinda like "FIST PUMPED" and went 'YEAH", cause I then knew is was a pat-on-the-back.

Thanks Dave! Ellie is going to hook me up with Paul for a good time both of us can meet. Perhaps we'll do coffee of lunch or something like that in around St. Cloud. I'll say Hi from you to your nephew for sure.

YellowRose
04-26-2015, 11:07 PM
God works in mysterious ways......

YellowRose
06-11-2015, 10:20 AM
This morning I had the pleasure of talking with Jed regarding his health. I am pleased to tell you for him, that his recent catscan shows a 66% reduction of that tumor! He just went through another round of chemo and is feeling pretty chipper this morning. He tells me that he is still doing steering wheel restorations and making seat foams for individuals and the Tbird vendors who buy from him! So if you need his services just look in the Advertisements Forum for information on his services and his contact information!

keith
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the update Ray!

simplyconnected
06-11-2015, 07:00 PM
I continue keeping Jed in my prayers as I think of him often. Ray, that's great news regarding any and all improvements in Jed's health. - Dave

bird 60
06-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Very glad to hear about Jed's good news. Hoping for a full recovery.

Chris....From OZ.

lexdownunder
06-12-2015, 02:42 AM
Susan & I have been holidaying in U.K. & Europe for the past two months so have not been keeping tabs on fellow TBirders. So shocked to hear about you Jed & what you have been through recently. Great news though regarding your chemo treatment & the outcome.
Your attitude & positivity are a source of strength to all of us as we approach our senior years.
You are in our prayers Jed & we pray that you continue to improve each day.

Lex & Susan
Tasmania

Dan Leavens
06-12-2015, 09:09 AM
That is good news about Jed's condition. Our thoughts and prayers will continue until he has full recovery.

Ca58tbird
06-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Thank you all for your prayers and kind words. Have now been thru 9 weeks of chemo. After the 8th week I had a CTscan that showed what had happened to the pancreas tumor since my first CTscan on 3-25. It showed that my tumor had reduced in size from 36 ml to 12 ml. That's a 66% reduction in size. I was kind of lead to understand that is the most significant reduction the hospital's oncology dept has ever seen on a first round of chemo. The doctors and nurses were all smiling and patting me on the back. My 9th week of chemo started last week, Tuesday, after a 2 week break. This chemo session gave me absolutely no side effects what so ever. I even called the hospital up on Thursday and asked them if it was chemo they had given me, cause I couldn't believe it. So I am mostly behaving and operating at near full physical ability and certainly 110% mental ability. So I am very optimistic about my future treatments and continued improving prognosis.

I continue to work gung ho on my boat repair business, seat cushion fabrication and steering wheel restoration. I also strive, weather dependent, to play golf 3Xs a week.

Thank the Lord, Jed

simplyconnected
06-13-2015, 11:41 PM
...my tumor had reduced in size from 36 ml to 12 ml. That's a 66% reduction in size. I was kind of lead to understand that is the most significant reduction the hospital's oncology dept has ever seen on a first round of chemo...I still run into folks who claim they have never seen a miracle. This is very serious stuff but with God, all things are possible. Many have prayed with faith that this outcome would result. Lo and behold, here it is.

Tell your sister to hold off on the sale of your Squarebird and truck. I don't think you're quite done with them yet. - Dave

Dan Leavens
06-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Dave very well said. Jed that is great news and of course the rounds of golf are always good for the soul:rolleyes:

DKheld
06-14-2015, 02:23 PM
That is great news Jed.

X3 on Dave's comments. :D

Eric

Ca58tbird
06-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Folks et al, Since my renewed lease on life resultant in significant tumor reduction and God's Grace in answered prayers, I have renewed my interest and effort in my garage addition project. Presently I have a 14x26 foot garage which had been originally built turned 45 degrees to the property line. Some time ago I had laid a new slab and built the block knee walls. Last fall I jacked the garage up, put it on a trailer and and straightened it out to lower it onto the new slab. This allows me to build a 22 x 20 foot addition onto and perpendicular to the original garage. I have a 2nd driveway on the other side of my house that will access the additional new double garage door. This past winter I had a 150' tall oak tree with a 40" diameter trunk cut, sawed up and hauled away. The tree stump was cut down flush to the ground, but it was right at the top of the steps in the pic below. Next I have to move some retaining walls, then have a a big front end loader and a dump truck come into rip out the stump and excavate for my new slab addition. Attached is picture of what the space looks like right now. From time to time I will post more pics of my progress. Hope to get the walls and roof up by winter. Thanks everybody for routing and cheering me on during this bout with cancer. My prognosis is pretty darn cheery these days and I have faith that I will go into remission.

keith
06-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the new upcoming addition!

Dan Leavens
06-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Jed look at you go:D

Ian M Greer
06-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Jed , I may be in the back ground but I'm with you all the way . Stay positive there are a lot of us praying for you , world wide , Ian

Ca58tbird
08-10-2015, 05:27 PM
UPDATE;

After the 1st 2 monthly cycles of weekly chemo, in May I had a CT scan which showed a 66% reduction in tumor growth to my pancreas and liver. That was great news and re-newed the meaning of the many praying for me, God's Grace and a little bit of chemo. The Drs and nurses have been very nice too.

After 2 more months of weekly chemo, on July 28 I had a 2nd CT scan. This scan could find no tumors, no growths and no cancer. This is the best possible news there ever could be. I have become the hospital's #1 living success. The pancreatic cancer is incurable, so I will always have the cancer, but they can't find it now. I started my 5th monthly cycle of weekly chemo last week which will continue thru August. The Dr may do another scan then so she can further ponder my situation. I do not know what the future holds for me, however I am cautiously very optimistic. Kinda like "skating away on the thin ice of a new day."

I have had very little and minor side effects from the chemo except for fatigue and loss of hair. I have continue to work and play mostly as normal. I try to take lots of naps and little rest stops.

Thank you all for your prayers and kind messages.

Yellowbird
08-11-2015, 09:17 AM
That is GREAT news Jed!

Prayer does work!

YellowRose
08-11-2015, 09:53 AM
That is indeed great news, Jed! I was excited to hear this!

DKheld
08-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Awesome news about your health!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the garage progress too!

Eric

dgs
08-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Excellent news!

simplyconnected
08-12-2015, 04:12 AM
I still run into folks who claim they have never seen a miracle. This is very serious stuff but with God, all things are possible. Many have prayed with faith that this outcome would result. Lo and behold, here it is...
...I have had very little and minor side effects from the chemo except for fatigue and loss of hair. I have continue to work and play mostly as normal. I try to take lots of naps and little rest stops.

Thank you all for your prayers and kind messages. Jed, going into this I prayed for a miracle, then I expected to see one. Not many beat pancreatic cancer, even with today's modern medicines, but you have.

Some years back we prayed for Christie, Ray's grand daughter, as she had spina bifida. I prayed for a miracle back then as well and God saw fit to keep her with us for three more years.

More recently my grandson, Levi, was having seizures shortly after he was born. We prayed for a miracle and support for the young and scared parents as this is their first baby.

In all three instances God and His love answered with mighty healing powers that still baffle doctors. In my experiences when you ask God for help, be prepared in your faith and believe that with God all things are possible. I cited three miracles, straight from the Almighty, that were in direct response to our prayers. I have witnessed many miracles, through God's grace. Nothing I could possibly do could thank Him enough. All I can do is praise Him. - Dave

fomoco59
08-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Great News Jed !

keith
08-12-2015, 09:21 AM
This Great News!

Dan Leavens
08-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Jed good to hear about your news. As others have said this is a blessing and another chapter of life.

Kinda like "skating away on the thin ice of a new day."

Ian M Greer
08-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Jed this is great news , remember always stay positive . This is a great group on this site and I know everybody is behind you all the way . Regards Ian.

Ca58tbird
09-03-2015, 04:05 PM
A week ago Tuesday had my last chemo treatment until Oct. 6. This 5-6 week period being chemo free ought to allow the open wound on my leg to heal. I have had a deep open wound on my right calf the size of a half dollar since early April. The chemo in my body will not allow it to heal. I have had the wound attached to a wound vacuum pump 24/7 since early May.

My last CT scan late July showed now cancer, tumors or growths in my body. After my October round of chemo, they’ll scan me again and see what they can find then. After that I’ll find out what the future plans are. I do and have felt quite remarkably excellent being able to all that is necessary in my daily activities. A bit of fatigue occasionally, but then I just take a break. Right now I am into the exercise of building my new garage addition and you can see the post at CA58Tbird Garage Project.

YellowRose
09-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Jed, thanks very much for the update on your health. I pray that you will continue to improve completely! I see the work continues on your garage, and thanks for posting the pix in the other thread! It will really look nice when all is done I am sure.

simplyconnected
09-04-2015, 12:48 AM
That's great news, Jed. Everyone here have been cheering for you and your progress. We're also glad you (or your sister) didn't sell your Squarebird. With God, all things are possible. - Dave

Dan Leavens
09-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Jed good stuff and good luck with the garage addition. Take it slow:rolleyes:

Ca58tbird
11-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Answered Prayers

Dear Tbird Friends,

Monday 11-2, after 7 months of chemo treatment for incurable 4th degree metastatic pancreatic cancer, I had my 3rd CT Scan. I was diagnosed on 3-25 and started chemo in April. My first scan on 5-26 showed a 66% reduction in my cancer. My second scan on 7-28 showed no cancer, tumors or growths. My 3rd scan 11-2 showed no evidence of any cancer. Your prayers, God’s Grace and the miracles of modern medicine made it possible that I can enjoy life this fine day. I thank the Lord and sing his praise.

You might envision me receiving the phone call from the hospital about my scan results while I was driving home Tuesday afternoon. Not being able to pull over, I listened to the nurse read the scan report results to me as I loudly exclaimed “YES” several times and banged my hand on the steering wheel. Soon after that wonderful call I was able to pull off Hwy 12 onto a county road, stop on the shoulder, and give thanks to the Lord for my life. I had to tell somebody quick about this news! I called and left a voice mail for Dawn. I then called my mother and spoke with her. A few minutes later Dawn called me back. The rest of the way driving home I was able to talk with my dog, Jazmine, who was riding shotgun with me. I think she understood.

On 11-16 I will have plastic surgery to patch up the open wound on my leg that has not healed because of the last 7 months of chemo. The wound has been slowly healing and getting smaller. I have been rid of the wound vacuum for about a month now. The surgeon tells me that I should heal up quickly after he’s done patching me.

On 11-19 I have an appt with my oncologist to discuss my future with my incurable cancer. I have a port surgically implanted in my right shoulder that will have to be flushed every 6 weeks. It has been suggested to me by several of the nurses that I will be put on some type of cancer monitoring program and maybe a chemo maintenance treatment on a monthly basis.

Over the last 2 months I have had my busiest fall boat winterization season ever. I have winterized 37 boats and now will start shrinkwrapping about the same number of boats. During the month of September I built a new 22x22 garage addition to my existing garage behind my home. On October 31st I was able to vacate the two storage garages I have been renting for some 10 or more years. Finally I have all my stuff under my own roof including my 1958 Thunderbird and the 1948 Dodge Panel Van. So between the boat business, building my garage, moving my storage and my last cycle of chemo in October, I’ve been super busy.

It is with great happiness, optimism and a heightened feeling of humility that I can now go forward with my life. Thank you all so much for your prayers and support during these trying times. The summer of 2015 will be one to remember.

With Great Faith,
Jed

YellowRose
11-08-2015, 01:10 AM
Jed, what a wonderful post! I am so thrilled to hear this great news! Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful news. During all this you have also accomplished so much work also while going through all that you have. I hope you get the things you want to accomplish inside the new garage done this winter. God Bless!

simplyconnected
11-08-2015, 05:32 AM
...incurable 4th degree metastatic pancreatic cancer...
That's what my Mom died of as a result of taking diabetic Metformin. She was 99. Doctor said, 'You know those statistics that say five percent may die from this drug? The statistics don't lie, and your mother was one of the unfortunate ones.' She had a good long run.

Jed, I also thank God for answering our prayers and baffling the doctors. You're a young man and He's not quite done with you. Tell the world the Good News and enjoy each day. Give Jasmine a big hug, too. - Dave

Dan Leavens
11-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Jed as has been stated that is wonderful news and thanks for sharing this with our squarebird.org family.

Dutchbird
11-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Great news Jed, straight ahead!!!