PDA

View Full Version : Seeking for my new Squarebird !

Nicolas
11-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Hi !

I'm searching for a nice and solid bird for the next summer season, ideally 1959 but would consider also a 60 depending on the condition.

I need a daily driver, meaning... Good engine and transmission. Solid body and floors, no rust holes. I don't care about the paint, patina is OK but no body filler and fiber glass repairs.

Running condition.

Decent upholstery is a plus.

352 ci engine or 430 ci even better.

Clean title.

Payment cash by wire transfer.

If you have a bird for sale, please email me with at least 20 pics --> vonzimmers(at)gmail.com.

5000 USD is my target but I would consider any offer.

Thanks.

Nicolas

PS : Serious buyer.

YellowRose
11-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Hi Nicolas, you might re-consider the 430MEL engine because parts are harder to find for them, and more expensive. The 352 is more readily available. Also if you find one that has a 390 in it, don't turn it down. 390 parts are more readily available than 352's. Hopefully, you will find what you are looking for. Google '59 or '60 Tbirds for sale and you will probably find a lot. Like these.

http://classiccars.com/listings/find/1959/ford/thunderbird

Or this...

http://www.cars-on-line.com/t-bird.html

Nicolas
11-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks. I already had a message from a member telling me about the 430 ci. I will follow your advice.

I'm searching everywhere. I just missed an auction on Ebay and I'm really p*****. We can find some good deals for these 59s.

Thanks for your help and support.

If ever you find one, let me know !

DKheld
11-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I just recently saw a Black '59.

It is for sale - although not advertised. Do not have a number to contact the individual. Saw it from the road and just stopped in and asked. The owner and I both had previous appointments so we agreed I would stop back in later since he was not in a hurry to sell. Will be back in the area on Nov 26 and will get pictures and details if you do not find one before that.

Is Black an acceptable color? Seems to meet the criteria otherwise although not sure about price. It is tagged and being driven regularly. Located in North Carolina USA if that makes a difference.

Eric

edit...

This is not the one I mentioned earlier but is for sale in the area - strangely enough it is Black also.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4766269545.html

http://images.craigslist.org/01212_aKMS3NA11OY_600x450.jpg

Nicolas
11-18-2014, 05:08 PM
I don't care about the color.

All I want is a running solid daily driver. The essential has to be there... Engine, trans, floors, chromes.

I don't care about upholstery or burnt clear coat.

I don't care about the location, I have a good logistic, I can pick up a car anywhere in the USA.

I would rather have someone from the forum checking out the car for me. If you can take pictures of that black 59, would be great.

Thanks Eric.

I really appreciate.

Keep me posted.

Oh btw, I'm not in a hurry, I'm looking for my next ride and I enjoy digging !

Nicolas
11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Anyone from Houston, TX area ?

I found one in League City.

http://galveston.craigslist.org/cto/4708571166.html

If anyone has time to waste to help me out. Would be glad ! I offer a bottle if the finest French Champagne !

Nicolas
11-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Anyone in Phoenix AZ ?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4732643612.html

Nicolas
12-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I found it in Maine !!

jopizz
12-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I would definitely have it inspected before you buy it. If it spent it's life in the northeast it would be nearly impossible not to have rust issues.

John

Nicolas
12-01-2014, 12:06 PM
I received enough pictures and it seems in a good condition.

It doesn't look like a rust bucket.

jopizz
12-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Maybe it's just a reflection but it looks like the radiator support is rusted to me. That's typical of a northeast car. I wouldn't go by looks. Bondo can hide a lot of imperfections. Also someone cut a hole in the firewall for some reason. I can see it's been fixed above the driver side wheel well. The rocker panels also look rough. I'm sure there's other places. Going by the engine compartment it looks like it's been neglected. If you are looking for a car that runs and drives this one doesn't look like it to me. It's your money though.

John

YellowRose
12-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Nicolas, Hopefully, one of our members in Maine will be able to help you. There is a check list in the Technical Resource Library that can be used to help check any vehicle out. It is at the bottom of the TRL called, Vehicle Check List. I downsized your pictures because they were to big. Pictures need to be kept at 800x600pixels or smaller. Good luck with this car.

Nicolas
12-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

It's a very low budget and I accept some issues for the price I pay. Also I can afford to rebuild the engine and transmission for that price... so I give it a chance but I'm confident. I'm sure she will be as described. The seller seems to be a very nice guy and has excellent feedbacks on Ebay (mentioning car strictly as described) and we closed the deal on Ebay.

I have seen what you mention on the pics. Not a big issue for me. I've seen much worth. But it's strange what they have done to the inner fender front passenger side ??? I cannot picture what was the idea of the guy making that hole. Any idea ?

I have also seen some very solid cars from wet & cold areas and rust buckets from California or Arizona. So it's not a general rule.

I give it a chance... I like that thrill and what a thrill for that amount of money !

Of course, I would have prefered to get a very nice one, but I don't have 18.000 USD by now. That's the game.

At the end of the day, I just bought my new Tbird 1959 and I'm exciting like a kid !

jopizz
12-01-2014, 01:00 PM
But it's strange what they have done to the inner fender front passenger side ??? I cannot picture what was the idea of the guy making that hole. Any idea ?

They probably couldn't get the hood open and cut an access hole so they could manually open the latch.

John

Nicolas
12-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Sounds like it happened to you !!!

I think that is it !

Thanks.

They probably couldn't get the hood open and cut an access hole so they could manually open the latch.

John

jopizz
12-01-2014, 01:23 PM
There's a small round access hole that the factory put in for that specific purpose. I looks like it wasn't large enough.

John

DKheld
12-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Nicolas - congratulations on your new car!!!
What a great Christmas present.
(you must have been a really good boy this year :D )

Hopefully Carl Heller here on the forum will see your post for parts request and help you out - he has about everything you can imagine (new and used). I have bought quite a few items from him and am very happy with my purchases. If not give him a shout - his forum name is partsetal

I noticed that there is a small bracket missing that should hold the transmission pressure valve. It bolts where the accelerator bracket is on the intake manifold. Should be fine without it and is probably plugged at the transmission. The accelerator return spring is in the wrong place and probably another small bracket missing that bolts on the carburetor stud - again - no big deal and just little things you can clean up as you go.
Here's a pic of the small spring bracket that I saw on the internet - thought I would post it.
http://www.squarebirds.org/carb_monty/restored_carb-side.jpg

Let us know when you get the car.
There a a bunch of great folks on the forum that will be glad help you out with your questions.

Eric

Dan Leavens
12-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Nicolas congrats on the purchase of your TBird. Now you can enjoy the benefits of our knowledgeable birders on our site in restoring it to your standards. These people are good / experienced and have gone through many restorations. Please send many pixs during this process as we all like to see them:D

Nicolas
12-04-2014, 01:23 PM
I will open a new thread in the proper area and you guys will be able to follow the adventure of that ol' Tbird heading to the Old Continent !!!

Nicolas
12-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Is anyone able to tell me the diameter of the wheels ? Are they 14 or 15 inches ? I mean only by looking at the pictures.

I need to buy 4 tires and can't wait for ly logistic to come back from holidays.

Nick

bird 60
12-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Hi Nicolas & congratulations on your '59 BIRD. I hope you have a Good run with it. The original wheels from factory were 14''.

Wishing you & your Family a Happy New Year.

Chris....From OZ.

elijahbird7
12-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Since the photos show hubcaps that are not original, there is always a "slight" possibility that the rims could have been switched by a previous owner to 15". (?)

jopizz
12-26-2014, 11:35 AM
They look like 80's Oldsmobile wire hubcaps to me. They could be 15" as that's what I had on my Oldsmobile at the time but it's hard to tell by the pictures.

John