PDA

View Full Version : New Member here

Itsa60
08-11-2014, 09:53 PM
I forgot about this site and I wish I hadn't the other day. My cable for the hood latch broke when I was at a car show. :mad: I couldn't figure out how to open the passenger side of the hood.:confused: Unfortunately, I have a quick disconnect on my battery and I always disconnect while I'm somewhere. Well, turns out I had to get the car flat bedded to my house which is 26 miles away. Dumb-a** me, I forgot that I dropped my roadside assistance with Haggerty years ago because I had AAA. Oh well, cost me $140 to tow home. Found out how to open it up with my repair manual but found a few pictures on here that were very helpful. Had the hood open in 5 minutes. Dang!:o Now I have to figure out how to install a new cable. I've ordered one but does anybody have any good tips on the process? (catch my breath) :eek:

YellowRose
08-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Hi Jeff, several years ago I had that happen to me. The end of the cable going to the passenger side broke the catch off the end of it at the passenger side hood lock mechanism. A new cable had to be run from the hood release handle through the firewall, as I recall. We ran it in the same path of the cable that broke, hooked it up to the passenger hood lock mechanism, and that fixed that.

Itsa60
08-12-2014, 08:54 PM
It must go out the firewall and then T off to the right side?

jopizz
08-12-2014, 09:10 PM
The hood release cable goes through the firewall and connects to the driver side latch. Then a separate cable goes from the driver side latch to the passenger side latch.

John

YellowRose
08-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Actually, I did not replace that cable. My mechanic did. I just looked at the cable set up on my '59 Tbird in the garage. It appears that the cable going to the passenger side starts at the hood release mechanism on the drivers side. There are a couple of screws that hold it in place, that I gather he had to loosen to get the broken cable out. Then he slipped in the new cable, clamped it down, and ran it through the wiring clamps that the wiring harness runs through, to the passenger side and installed the new cable to it, in place of the old one. I looked to see where that cable went through to the hood release handle and it does not. So there is no T involved. Just look at your set up on the drivers side, follow the cable to the passenger side, and run the new cable to that passenger side hood release mechanism and install it to it. Hope that helps.

Thanks, John, I know that hood release handle connects to that drivers side hood latch, but darned if I can see where comes through the firewall and connects to the drivers side latch. In my case, my cable broke at the end on the passenger side, so it was just a matter of running a new cable from the drivers side latch to the passenger side and clamping it in place.

Itsa60
08-12-2014, 11:04 PM
When I pulled the handle from the inside is when it broke. I heard it. I later found the wire clamp laying on the frame (uni-body) right below the left hood latch. I'm wondering if it's easier to just take that latch loose and run the new cable or fish it through the way that it's on there now?

Restifier52
08-12-2014, 11:48 PM
Sounds like the wire and the clamp disconnected. Maybe you don't have any broken parts and just need to put it back together. I had a hard time getting my release to work - spent a lot of time massaging the wire to get it moving through the sleeve and had to put a hefty spring on the driver's latch to get the handle to return all the way. It's been working fine for a couple years now.

V-John
08-13-2014, 07:30 AM
When I took all of my hood latch pieces and cables off to paint, I was wondering how the heck you'd ever open the hood if a cable broke or latch failed to open all the way. After I put it all back in I checked the release a lot of times by closing the latches by hand instead of closing the hood.