View Full Version : overflow tube

04-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Can anyone tell me where the overflow tube off of the expansion tank goes to? It's on a 59 T-bird.
I want to take it to the drags soon and they require an overflow tank. Any ideas on that?

thx, Dave J

04-22-2014, 11:29 PM
There's a rubber hose that goes on it and it just hangs behind the water pump. Basically if it overflows it just goes on the ground.


04-22-2014, 11:34 PM
I just looked at mine for you, and it just hangs down between the block and the AC compressor and drains onto the ground if it needs to. Hope that helps. I see that John just said the same thing! lol..

04-22-2014, 11:45 PM
The drags probably don't want you to dump antifreeze on the track. It is very slippery. That's probably why they want an overflow tank. If you change the radiator cap to a recovery type, you can mount an overflow tank where ever you find the room or space. Connect the rubber hose off of the expansion tank to the overflow tank and it will contain all of the fluid. If you notice the white tank behind the right valve cover, this is my recovery tank. I used a w/s wiper fluid tank I got from the junk yard.

04-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Here is the one I am using, picked up on ebay
I have seen complete kits for sale on ebay, tank, hose and cap.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn160/04xrider/T-Bird%20Mods/1d562686-ada0-4b12-bca5-97da9467d252_zps41ca6b2e.jpg (http://s303.photobucket.com/user/04xrider/media/T-Bird%20Mods/1d562686-ada0-4b12-bca5-97da9467d252_zps41ca6b2e.jpg.html)

04-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Fantastic Gents, thanks!
I'll rig something up this weekend, I want to race it on May 2nd.

Dave J