PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel slop

deviot
04-21-2014, 05:15 AM
Hi,

I'm in the process of puting my car back together.
Unfortunately I wasn't the person who took it apart.

The steering wheel shaft has significant moment where it runs through the upper bearing, about 1/8 inch or more of movement. I have attached a photo.

I was hoping for some help here.

I am assuming either the inner part of the bearing is very worn or there is a bush or something that should sit between the the seat and the bearing.

Thanks

Dave

Buckaroo
04-21-2014, 08:27 AM
There is a bushing that should be installed. I think the parts catalogs have an exploded view of the steering column.

YellowRose
04-21-2014, 10:59 AM
This information might help also. Check out the instructions by Alexander on replacing the detent plate and look at the pix and what he had to say. Also look at the link right below his..

http://www.squarebirds.org/detent_installation.htm

Tbird1044
04-21-2014, 03:46 PM
There is a bearing that is pressed into the steering column housing. I replaced mine when I had the column out, but the old bearing was still good. Then there is a plastic taper bushing that slides into the bearing and goes around the steering column shaft. It sounds like you are missing this bushing. TBird parts houses have them for a few bucks. Larry's part number is B3518B. This plastic bushing is held in place by the large spring behind the steering wheel.
Nyles

deviot
04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I have checked out larrys parts catalog and found the part. It is listed only as a 1960 model, mine is a 59 but can I assume they are all the same?

The photos from the indent plate installation helped also, I was wondering where or if the spring in the box of assorted loose parts I have was for the car, now I know where it goes also.

Thanks

Dave

YellowRose
04-21-2014, 07:35 PM
More than likely, they are the same for all three years, as many of the parts were. To be sure, you could shoot them an email and ask them. They certainly should be able to tell you.

Tbird1044
04-21-2014, 11:03 PM
If you look closely at the picture, you can see the spring just below the nut that retains the steering wheel. The spring fits nicely over the steering column shaft and is probably about 1 1/4" long. It puts pressure on the taper bushing, forcing the bushing into the bearing, and keeping things tight. There are some better pictures in the TRL of the spring on the shaft.
Nyles

deviot
04-25-2014, 07:24 PM
I am going to order the bush. I think it would be the correct part.
I contacted some of the suppliers and they have no idea, they only know what the catalog says. I got this reply form mac's, I'm in Australia so it wouldn't be worth posting back.

"Unfortunately I would not be able to confirm that as it is not stated for your vehicle. You can definitely order it and try it, but if it does not fit you would just have to send it back at your cost."

Dakota Boy
04-25-2014, 10:56 PM
MAC's is too big of a company to call for help in these situations.

Try calling Bird's Nest.

They have guys on hand who know these old cars.

Or...contact partsetal on this site and I'm sure he has what you need.

I do recall having this issue on my car.....but in my case, the bushing was there, but the whole assembly was just a bit out of adjustment.

simplyconnected
04-26-2014, 06:18 AM
David, I can vouch for the part. It was used in many Ford cars including Edsel and Lincoln, and probably used in trucks as well. Here is the Ford Parts Catalog entry:
http://squarebirds.org/images_steering_column/1958-9SteeringGear.jpg
Here is the official description:
3518 SLEEVE - STEERING COLUMN UPPER BEARING

The inside diameter is .75" and the outside diameter is 1"
And, here is the real part number: B1AZ 3518-A
Notice that the part number was generated in (B1AZ) 1951, and "A" denotes all full-size Fords. So this part was originally designed for '51 Ford cars but it was also used in many other models.

Look at the part, and see if you have one in your spare parts box:
http://squarebirds.org/images_steering_column/1958-9SteeringGear_3518.jpg
It looks like a cone. The purpose is that it slips inside ball bearings in the housing. This centers the steering shaft in the housing and makes turning the steering wheel very smooth with no slop.
I hope this helps.

EDIT: BTW, the original part may be made of steel, not nylon. Nylon is ok, but I think it's criminal that these parts vendors are charging ten bucks for a one inch piece of plastic.

EDIT #2: I just found this part for half the price from my friends at tee-bird.com (http://www.tee-bird.com/catalog_product_detailed.cfm?id=11953) - Dave Dare