PDA

View Full Version : Engine Baffle Plate

ThunderBaker
03-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Hi,
I am in the process of putting the engine back together from removing the manifold and heads on my 1960 352. There was no baffle plate under the intake manifold when I took it apart. The shop manual shows a baffle plate--what is the down side of not having a baffle plate? The engine seemed to perform fine previously.

Thanks
Marshall

partsetal
03-22-2014, 09:35 AM
This plate is basic # 6A630 and described as "Duct, Crankcase ventilation". Of the 12 or so 352's that I have dismantled, about 4 have had this plate. The others could have been eliminated at the factory or left out during engine repair. They show up on eBay at times.
Carl

jopizz
03-22-2014, 11:33 AM
The majority of 352's that I have taken apart including mine didn't have the baffle and that includes many engines that weren't taken apart previously. All the 390's I've taken apart have had it so it seems to be hit and miss with the squarebirds. The parts book shows it going back to '58 so I'm not sure why so many left the factory without it.

John

simplyconnected
03-22-2014, 05:27 PM
I know why it's there. The bottom of your intake manifold is really HOT, with exhaust gasses crossing over. If your heat riser sticks shut, splashing oil from underneath will cook.

FE engines breathe from the crankcase up passed the timing chain, and into the valley portion. This oily blowby helps lubricate the timing chain on its way out the draft tube.

So liquid oil needs to stay below the pan and vapor needs to stay above it.

I suggest you block off your exhaust cross-over port to keep heat away from your intake manifold. I also suggest you eliminate the heat riser valve. I cut the guts out of mine with a cutting torch but the outside looks stock. I rarely run my classic Fords in winter, so a few extra minutes to warm the engine isn't as important (to me) as getting rid of heat.

Folks complain about their FE engines running hot. With properly ported radiator air, coolant liquid, and exhaust gasses they should never run hot. - Dave

Astrowing
03-23-2014, 07:03 PM
My late 58 did not have one but did find one and add it. There was a service bulletin related to the baffle that was discussed at some point in the past.

ThunderBaker
03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the input from everyone. I opted to put the engine back together without the baffle plate since that was the way it was when I took it apart.

There is a cover over the road draft tube inside the manifold that I don't remember seeing in the past. I haven't had an FE apart since about 1970 so my memory may not be clear. I have removed the flap from the heat riser valve. I do, however, drive this car about 9 or 10 months a year.

Again, I appreciate the input
Marshall