PDA

View Full Version : transmission dripping

Larry Jones
07-15-2013, 04:01 PM
I own a 62 t-bird convertible Iam gettings about 6 to 7 drops of fluid on the floor. It appears to be coming from the left side of the case. Now if it is coming from the speedometer cable how easily is that to get to. I found out about me the other day is when I get under the car and lay flat down on the concrete I appear to get dizzy it only happens on hard surfaces. So in saying I really cant get under the car and pin point myself. Thanks Larry

jopizz
07-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Larry,

If it's coming from the driver side I would suspect that it's the shifter seals. That's much more common than the speedometer gear. It's also possible that it's the modulator but I'd put my money on the shifter seals.

John

Larry Jones
07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
I will no for sure by Friday. Let you no. Larry

Larry Jones
07-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Bingo John. You were right. The mechanic indicated to me that ther e hard to get to is that right in your opinion John

jopizz
07-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Larry,

They're not real easy to replace. I just had mine recently done by one of the local repair shops and he charged me about $150. It's all labor as the seals are only a couple of dollars. It was well worth it to me rather than spending a few hours laying on my back.

John

Larry Jones
07-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks John.

Larry Jones
07-17-2013, 07:13 PM
The transmission expert called today and indicated to me that the pan hasd a lot of sludge built up So I told him to give me the new fluid he also got to the torque converter and cleaned that out also. Left some fluid in the transmission cooler lines untouched. Larry

jopizz
07-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Larry,

My pan and filter were also loaded with sludge when it was first opened up. It was probably a good thing that you had to have it serviced.

John

Larry Jones
07-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I called the transmission man he indicated come and get the car. Iguest he finished yesterday about the middle of the afternoon It sat for about 20 hours When I pulled out he said hold up. There was a small pool of tranny fluid on the ground.Now its about 12.30 pm eastern standard time He wanted me to come down and show me something. He pointed to the front of the yoke on the driveshaft it was leaking there also. He said he would disconnect the yoke from the driveshaft clean it out and possibly put some type of sealant there if I heard right but couldn't quarantee the work.If that doesn't hold what would be my next step. Cost also. Larry

jopizz
07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
If he took the yolk out why didn't he just put a new rear seal in. It would've taken the same amount of time. The seal is about $8.00.

John

Larry Jones
07-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I thought this was a seal on the extension housing. Wrong He disconnected the driveshaft and applied something to it. He then says if it doesn't leak don't worry about it. Larry. What say you to that. John

jopizz
07-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Just because it doesn't leak today doesn't meant it won't leak tomorrow. It sounds like he didn't feel like doing the job right. Nothing he can put on there is going to fix a bad seal permanently. A drive shaft doesn't leak. It's the seal or bushing around the yolk that leaks. Good luck with it but I wouldn't plan on it lasting.

John

Larry Jones
07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Our there pictures inside of my 1962 thunderbird manual of this matter or as you say its the seal that surrounds the yoke. Larry

jopizz
07-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Page 5-21 shows the extension housing seal and bushing and how to replace them.

John

Larry Jones
07-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I took him the picture on page 5-21 and said that not it.He issaying it the front yoke on the drive shaft. Larry

jopizz
07-18-2013, 04:50 PM
I guess it's possible that fluid is leaking through the yolk and coming out where it meets the universal joint flange but I'd love to know what he used to fix it that will last. I would look around for a new yolk just in case.

John

Larry Jones
07-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I have a tendency to believe you. Can you show me or shoot me a picture of the yoke. I would say its a bad seal not the yoke or is he saying the seal is the yoke. Iam confused. Larry

jopizz
07-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Here's what it looks like. The long end of course goes into the transmission and the seal and bushing keep fluid from coming out around the shaft. It is hollow and goes around the output shaft of the transmission. Where he fixed it is anybody's guess. I'm confused also.

John

Larry Jones
07-18-2013, 09:15 PM
So in your estimation John it would be the seal and maybe the bushing around it other the the yoke itself. I wont bother you no more over this matter. Because the mechanic didn't say anything about the seal what he said I need a new yoke. Larry

simplyconnected
07-19-2013, 02:54 AM
How much side-to-side or up-down slop is there when the yoke is installed? I have changed seals before but the whole thing rides on a very thin bronze bushing pressed into the tail shaft housing.

I'm not saying yours is worn but if a new seal quickly leaks, you may have a bushing to replace.

I've NEVER seen a yoke go bad to the point where a new seal and a little cleanup didn't fix the leak.

Larry Jones
07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
The expert suggested a new yoke. John sent me a picture of the yoke.There our two holes in the back and a hollow tube in which the bushing and the seal inserts is that correct. Which end connects to the drive shaft Do you have a picture with the driveshaft which is connected to the extension housing that you can send me.The picture on 5-21 in mt 62 thunderbird manual doent show how the extension is connected to the driveshaft Dave. Is the bushing and the seal does it connect to the drive shaft Espreciate it. Larry. Ps He indicated he removed the driveshaft and clean it but I don't no if he pulled the seal out or bushing that was never mentioned to me. He indicated that he would clean it and put something on it.Plus he said if this holds fine if not you would need a new yoke. Larry

jopizz
07-19-2013, 01:33 PM
The bushing and seal are in the transmission extension housing, not the yolk.

John

simplyconnected
07-19-2013, 05:48 PM
The bushing and seal are in the transmission extension housing, not the yolk...Yep, John is telling it straight.

...I have changed seals before but the whole thing rides on a very thin bronze bushing pressed into the tail shaft housing... There are NO holes that go through to the inside of the yolk. - Dave

Larry Jones
07-19-2013, 09:38 PM
This metal piece that john showed me he referred to it as the yolk. What is this connected to is it the drive shaft then. Larry

jopizz
07-20-2013, 12:16 AM
As you can see by the diagram the yolk connects to the drive shaft with a universal joint.

John

Larry Jones
07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
That's great. Now I got the big picture on how items our attached. Thank you. Larry

Larry Jones
07-21-2013, 04:01 PM
hi again John. In the last picture you sent me there a seal labeled 7058 does this seal go into the extension housing orwhat is part 7650 go to. plus in thread 12 You said the driveshaft doesn't leak Its the seal or bushing around the yolk that leaks. Would those items referring to the extension housing because Iam going back to page 5-21 showing the rear seal and bushing. So this seal labeled 7058 is this called the rear seal and where is bushing located John. Pluswhy would you suggest to look around for a new Yolk where this is made out of metal and be more concerned about a seal and maybe the bushing. Plus the mechanic suggested a new yolk also but didn't mention anything about a seal or bushing to me. Larry

jopizz
07-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Larry,

The part number for the rear seal is actually 7052 not 7058. It goes into the extension housing which is part number 7650. The bushing is also in the extension housing although it's not shown. I have no idea why the mechanic suggested you replace the yolk. Ask him to explain exactly where it was leaking and what he did to fix it.

John

Larry Jones
07-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Went to church today didn't really bother to look under the car but when we came home my wife noticed maybe about 10 drops for red fluid. Oh boy I said. In my hast I cleaned up the newspaper without recalling where I had it positioned. Iam going out now and putting paper on the drivers side where he fixed and center another piece under the extention housing also. Then Ill go from there. Iam hoping it not where the seals he repaired already. Can the rear seal and the bushing be gotton at a Nappa store. Is that bushing called a specific name so I can reference it. Larry Plus is the yoke easy to take off and whats involved in that John. When I pulled out to get gas I noticed there was a long line in session dropping. So I would say its the rear seal John

jopizz
07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes, the seal and bushing are available from NAPA.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/A-Trans-Rear-Seal-Bushing-Kit/_/R-NOS16727_0073667782

Larry Jones
07-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Went to church today didn't really bother to look under the car but when we came home my wife noticed maybe about 10 drops of red fluid. Oh boy I said. In my hast I cleaned up the newspaper without recalling where I had it positioned. I am going out now and putting paper on the drivers side where he fixed it and center another piece under the extention housing also. Then I'll go from there. I am hoping it's not where the seals are that he repaired already. Can the rear seal and the bushing be gotton at a Nappa store? Is that bushing called a specific name so I can reference it? Could that indicate that it may be the rear seal again? Is the yolk easily taken off and can you tell me what is involved in taking it off? Larry

jopizz
07-21-2013, 06:21 PM
The yolk simply pulls out after the drive shaft is disconnected.

John

Larry Jones
07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Thank you John

Larry Jones
07-22-2013, 09:23 AM
The mechanic indicated that the transmission was a FMX transmission. Is that the same as a cruismatic transmission. Iam going to make another appointment with a another transmission garage and get a second opinon on the yoke. I don't see why he indicated that the yoke needed to be replaced. Larry

jopizz
07-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Yes, the FMX is the same as a cruise-o-matic.

Larry Jones
07-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Is part number on that picture you sent me 4841 that would be called the Yolk. And the top holes on that picture you sent me that's called the yolk and that is connected to part number 4602 which leads to the driveshaft. I have a call into the owner of the shop requesting him to tell me exactly where it was leaking and why would he suggest to replace the yolk. Be patient with me John Thanks for staying with me. Larry

jopizz
07-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes, 4841 is the yolk and 4602 is the drive shaft.

Larry Jones
07-22-2013, 05:54 PM
It appears it leaking in the same area John again.I have two separate markings on the cardboard I layed down on the drivers side of the tranny. The mechanic suggested I bring the cardboard with me so I quest he can examine it. He only replaced one seal I really cant make out his writing on the bill. Iam sure he did only what was leaking. Larry.

1960_430_AU
07-23-2013, 03:01 AM
I have had fluid leaking from the yoke before

At the rear there is a plug like a freeze plug
The fluid can leak past there. We have used epoxy to seal them successfully. I would replace the seal at the same time. The bushing would need to be checked too.

KULTULZ
07-23-2013, 05:49 AM
The mechanic indicated that the transmission was a FMX transmission. Is that the same as a cruismatic transmission.

Iam going to make another appointment with a another transmission garage and get a second opinon on the yoke. I don't see why he indicated that the yoke needed to be replaced.

Larry

Your trans style should be an MX. The FMX was not introduced until the 1968 model run.

If the yoke has been damaged/grooved by seal wear, there is a repair sleeve available for a field repair. It also entails a new O/S seal. Maybe this is what he did.

http://durasleeve.com/

If the bushing is bad (7A011), it will destroy the new seal in no time.

Also as mentioned, if the yoke has a welch plug, they can seep fluid.

Larry Jones
07-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Hello Kultulz. This What is the specific name for this seal. My car is a 1962 thunderbird. When ordering parts either a new yoke or this seal. Would I have to indicate if my model was a early model thunderbird or a later model production thunderbird. Larry