PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Continental Mark II lives again

1960_430_AU
12-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Yaaahooo!!!!
After a protracted rebuild the engine is in and runs perfectly (huge sigh of relief)

There were still a couple of things that were to cause greif though
One of the steel lines, the one on the water pump next to the A/C, was dripping I had it out a couple of times and ended up the flare didn't seat correctly I tried a copper washer from an A/C line but didn't fix it. I ended up using an o'ring in the base and it works great.
Bypass tube had a pin hole at the thermostat end so I brazed it up

The starter motor needs a rebuild so I pinched one from my 60 Tbird that has a MEL 430

So at this point it runs great now on to the exterior tear down and repaint

Pics, pics pics here they are!!!!
First 2 are what it looked like when it arrived from the US

Richard D. Hord
12-23-2012, 06:31 PM
LOOKS GREAT!
Richard D. Hord

Anders
12-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Looks fantastic! :eek:

tp tbird
12-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Love it looks great

simplyconnected
12-24-2012, 01:15 AM
What a sweet, sweet ride. It looks stunning! Congratulations for finding all your engine parts and doing such a nice job. - Dave

How hard was the 'teapot' Holley to set up?

YellowRose
12-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Congratulations, Richard! She is looking pretty again! I know you have to be pleased with the results!

1960_430_AU
12-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys
it's taken 10 months to get to this point and now i start on the repaint who know how long that will take

Dave, the teapot is not too bad to work with, the biggest problem with them are leaks mainly the needle and seat cover

Richard

1960_430_AU
07-23-2013, 02:48 AM
"lives again" ? Not yet anyway

Had a few major issues to deal with so work has been slow.
Late Feb I had a heart attack so that slowed things.

Fighting fit now, well almost

Here's some pics of where it's at

Richard

YellowRose
07-23-2013, 03:02 AM
Hi Richard! Geeeezzzz! I am sorry to hear that you experienced a heart attack, but certainly am glad to see you typing away on the keyboard! I see you are doing pretty well now, thank goodness! It has been over 6 years since I had mine, and luckily, it was mild, but I ended up with a 5 way bypass. My heart doctor said my heart was healthy though. I wish you well in your continued recovery. Thanks for updating us and for the pix of the Lincoln!

DKheld
07-23-2013, 11:05 AM
One of my favorite cars......A/C, PS, PB, air ride - waaaaay ahead of it's time. Reviewing the pics I didn't realize the exhaust exited through the inner fender - interesting.

Guess when I win the lottery I may have a chance to own one.

As Ray mentioned - hate to hear about the heart attack but glad to see you're back on track.

Can't wait to see the finished car. Looked great before so when it's finished I bet it will be a true gem.

Eric

1960_430_AU
05-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Nearly three years since I last posted time really does get away and my Mark II is finally getting closer Hope to have colour on in the next few weeks

Yadkin
05-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Gorgeous car! Please take care of the leak in the "teapot"- you don't need all that hard work to go up in flames. At the very least, install a Halatron fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment- where you can get at it.

Dan Leavens
05-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Richard great to see you back on the site and the MK II coming along nicely. I have a buddy here in Calgary that is a week away from getting his 56 back and restored. It has been a long haul for them especially finding some much needed parts. Especially since there was less than 3000 built between 56 / 57:rolleyes:

1960_430_AU
05-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Richard great to see you back on the site and the MK II coming along nicely. I have a buddy here in Calgary that is a week away from getting his 56 back and restored. It has been a long haul for them especially finding some much needed parts. Especially since there was less than 3000 built between 56 / 57:rolleyes:

Yes basically there is one supplier of parts Mark II Enterprises, used parts have 60 years of use/abuse so you just have to suck it up and pay the money. And while the $AU is at 73cUS it gets expensive

Dan Leavens
05-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Richard OUCH:eek: That being said the MK II was in a class all its own with the design /engineering and luxury at the time.

Too bad Ford lost $1000 a car and they had to pull the plug on production...