PDA

View Full Version : Steves'64 Tbird!

YellowRose
09-01-2012, 02:22 PM
New Member, Steve Mullins, from Kentucky, has a gorgeous '64 Tbird, and '64 Tbird, Jr. that will knock your socks off! Here are some pix of it and I will probably have to do this in two posts.

YellowRose
09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Here are the rest of them. Enjoy!

Richard D. Hord
09-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Awesome!
Richard D. Hord

Deblib
09-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I love it. Where did you get the kids bird? Did you build it yourself? I want one. Lol.

YellowRose
09-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi Deb, These Junior cars were manufactured by a company for numerous brands of cars, including the Thunderbird and the Mustang. One of the foremost authorities on them is Lee Exline ~ roadkillontheweb, a member of this Forum. Lee makes a lot of parts for them. Here is a link to Lee's website so ya'll can learn more about them.

http://www.jrcentral.com/index.html

These Junior cars do not come cheap and are not that easy to find. They were made by the Power Car Company in pedal, electric and gas versions in limited numbers. There was a red '60 Junior Electric version on sale on Ebay recently for $1,500 but it did not sell. It was not in the best looking condition either. Ford and the Power Car Co. worked out an agreement when the '55 Tbird came out for them to build a Junior version for Ford for promotional purposes. That led the Power Car Co. to start making them for other car manufacturers. They stopped building them in 1967 I believe.

Here is a bit of history on these Junior cars, whether it was a Tbird, Pontiac, Buick, or whatever.

This was not a toy for the average child, it was expensive then around $ 565.00. (I recently saw a '55 Tbird Junior sell for $4,000!) Most of them were sold to car dealers. the Dealers came up with a great Promotional use for these. A dealer would buy one or two of these and have the Salesman take them around to the schools and playgrounds on a Pick Up Truck. When the kids flocked to this child size car seeing that it was actually driveable the Salesman wouldn't let them drive it, but rather gave each kid a Coupon for a free ride at the Dealership. The hook was set, Johnny would go home all wound up and beg mom and Dad to go drive that car for FREE. Of course many parents succumbed. When they got to the Dealership as the kids waited in line for a ride the Salesman had a captive audience to pitch Mom and Dad on the New 1955 Thunderbird, Pontiac, Buick, whichever. After the free ride was over the kids got another coupon for Mom and Dad to fill out for them for a Drawing for a 55 Thunderbird JR (or other brand of car). Once the coupons were deposited in the drawing box, the Salesmen now had the parents name and phone number to use on follow up Sales Calls.

Here is a video clip uploaded by Lee that you might enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBu0KgsCpX8

If anyone is interested in buying one your best chance to find one is probably through Lee. Here is his email.

roadkillontheweb@msn.com

Deblib
09-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks for that info Ray. Guess they are a little out of my range, but I still think they are awesome!!

tbird430
09-06-2012, 03:21 PM
So does my 4.5 Y/O daughter now!! LOL!!! :D

-Jon R.