PDA

View Full Version : 4 Cords In San Antonio Area

YellowRose
07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
I found out yesterday, while visiting a past President of my Tbird Club, that there are 4 1936-1937 Cords in the area around San Antonio! Two of them belong to the Cord Club President and are fully restored cars. One is in bad shape and needs a full restoration. The fourth one is sitting in my friends garage! It is partially restored, and he is continuing to work on it to get it in driving condition. Once he does, he will probably drive it for awhile and then sell it. He said he could part it out if he wanted to and make a mint doing so. The radio alone goes for $2,000! I think he said if he were to chop the front end, it would sell for $15K!

Here is some information on the Cord and the pix I took. I will probably have to post the pix twice to get them all posted.

He told me how he came into possession of the 1937 Supercharged Cord Beverly that he has in his garage, restoring it! He said there were less than 400 Supercharged Beverly Cords made, and about 2700-3000 Cords built totally, in 1936 and 1937. Then they went under. Steve's is in fairly good shape considering it's age. I took a number of pictures of it.

Also in that garage is his Ford Model A and a Caddy Eldorado. Both of them need cleaned up and worked on. Here is some more info on the Cord.
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10031/Cord-812.aspx

Now some pix.

YellowRose
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Here are some more pix, and also one of his Ford Model A that is sitting there, needing to be cleaned off and driven. To the right of it is an '80's Caddy Eldorado, under cover, I think he said. All it needs is the engine replaced and otherwise, he said it is in excellent condition.

tp tbird
07-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Here are some more pix, and also one of his Ford Model A that is sitting there, needing to be cleaned off and driven. To the right of it is an '80's Caddy Eldorado, under cover, I think he said. All it needs is the engine replaced and otherwise, he said it is in excellent condition.

The Cord is one of my favorite old cars,since I was a teen many years ago I loved them for the style that was ahead of time.Nice!

cdhowell
07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Are those pop up headlights in the front fender?

YellowRose
07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Yup, Charlie, they sure are pop up covers for the headlights. There was a left hand and a right hand knob to turn to open them up. Just as you do to open the windshield up. One of the pictures shows a big black knob. I think that one was for opening the bottom of the windshield up some. I don't think it opens to far, but it does. He turned it to show me how it works. I can remember seeing that on old cars of the 30's and 40's in the past. I guess that was AC by Mother Nature.:D The Cord was also a front wheel drive car! It also has "suicide" doors on it. For additional information on the Cord go here: Or Google 1936-1937 Cord.
http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2005/11/01/hmn_feature1.html

dgs
07-18-2011, 01:03 PM
My grandfather had a '37 Cord 812 Phaeton (4 place convertible). It was black with red leather, just like my 'Bird. It was an absolutely beautiful car.

It was on display in the Auburn Cord Duesenburg museum in the 80's and Franklin Mint even used it to take dimensions for their model, one of which sits on my dresser. He sold it at auction just before he died in the late 90's.

That Cord looks pretty good, almost good enough not to restore but to 'refresh'. It's only original once. :)