View Full Version : Refinishing question

Joe Johnston
03-14-2011, 09:51 AM
What do I use to replace the textured surface (sound deadening ?) on the underside of the trunk lid before paintinng?

03-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I forget what it looked like but maybe lizard skin would work goes on with a roller.

Joe Johnston
03-14-2011, 06:57 PM
I've heard of that, but is it paintable? I have completely removed all the original textured material and have painted the underside, so a new texturing material needs to be applied and painted.

03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I just looked on their web site and they say yes. You can spray it on to. You have to read it. I think it would work. Just my two cent.......

03-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Mask the area real well, and spray on some truck bed liner. While it's still wet, pull the masking tape off and let it dry.

Joe Johnston
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM

I have local providers for both and will check them out. Easy enough to take the trunk lid and have someone spray their product on it.

03-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Joe, no need to remove the lid... bedliner comes in a rattle can. You can spray as much or as little as you want. The idea is; it's rubberized, it never hardens (perfect sound deadener), and it is paintable. Being rubberized, it ain't easilly removed once it sets.

07-04-2011, 09:09 AM
SEM makes a product in a rattle can that will do the job for you. You can only buy SEM products at body shop supply stores. Slightly scuff the area to be painted. Then prep the area with a pre-paint prep that you can buy at the same store. Mask off the areas that are not to be painted. Be sure you cover the entire car before you apply the product. This product can then be painted over if needed. I use SEM products in the shop. Excellent products.