PDA

View Full Version : Every year Robin & I go to AutoRama in Detroit.

simplyconnected
03-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Robin & I went to the Detroit AutoRama last weekend with a high school buddy of mine (his name is Rocky). We parked the car in Greektown, took the Peoplemover to Cobo Hall, walked our butts off around the classic and custom cars, then went back to Greektown for a fabulous (and reasonable) shish kabob dinner before heading home.

I took 147 pictures of different cars that tickled my fancy, not necessarilly the 'show winners'. In fact, I think some that weren't considered should have won awards. We also ran into a lot of people we knew from work or 'the neighborhood'. We even ran into our son, Ryan, in Greektown.

Take a look through my site pictures and let me know what you think:

CLICK HERE (http://home.comcast.net/~mrs.dare/2011-02-26Autorama/)

Anders
03-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Great pics! Thanks for charing. Love the blue Deuce with Lincoln Engine:)

redstangbob
03-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Dave, you and Robin sure look familiar. I bet we've met at a car show or swap in the past. Thanks for the pics, and tell Rocky not to feel bad, Those chicks don't want to hang out with me either:D

GTE427
03-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Great pictures, thanks for posting. Lots a great early sixties muscle, both street and strip. I likewise share Robin's enthusiasm for the 63.5 Galaxie. One day I'd like to have Black Z-code XL, red interior and gears, if the lottery comes my way, it'll have the dual quad 427 with a personal tuner.

gaffney1951
03-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Looks like a good time was had by all. :) Mike

simplyconnected
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the comments, Anders, Bob, Ken, & Mike. The show IS a lot of fun (usually more fun than the International Detroit Auto Show). At every turn there was something different and fun. We must have walked five miles and spoke with hundreds of people.

The show was spontaneous and surprising, but I felt right at home and relaxed among so many great cars I grew up with. There were a few cars I have seen before because most of these cars are owned by restorers, racers, and enthusiasts in my own neighborhood (including Roush in Livonia, MI). I marvel at the Imperial two Royal Oak guys did (in pix 7-14). Ever see a windshield showing bare glass along the top edge?.. simple & clean.

My buddy Rocky, is a trip. He's single, recently retired from the Navy, very short, 60 yrs old, the Chaplain at our local American Legion, lots of fun, and he LOVES beautiful women (all of them). Here's his Facebook profile picture:
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/186953_100001587741111_1610952_n.jpg This fine lady (at the show) has legs that go clear to Rocky's neck!
Robin & I will see Rocky tonight at the Legion for all-you-can-overeat veal parmesan ($7/ea).

YellowRose
03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Great, great photography, Dave and great car pix! I really enjoyed looking at them. There are some really terrific looking cars there! Thanks for sharing with us.

Dan Leavens
03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Dave great pixs of the selected classics / mods. Your camera has great clarity and must have over 15 pixels to take that kind of quality shots. The Autorama looks like a big show how many cars roughly?? I especially liked the black Caddy convert, as it looked to done right butRobin's Galaxie's looked okay as well.

scumdog
03-04-2011, 12:49 AM
What great pictures on 'non-bow-tie' cars, I love that 64? T-bird!

(Sun was shining on my screen so couldn't see too much detail - will have another look after dark!!)

But the shortened Imperial does nothign for me, too 'stunted' to look in proportion.

I'm sure I've seen the bronze '33 5-window here in NZ about two years back, maybe I'm mistaken but it look familiar.

scumdog
03-04-2011, 01:05 AM
And as for the appearance of the pot of paint the young lady in the mural is holding....hmmmm...

dgs
03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I took 147 pictures of different cars that tickled my fancy, not necessarilly the 'show winners'.

Well, you still got the Riddler winner. That gray '56 Ford Skyliner on page 4. First time in many years that a 50's car has won the big prize.

simplyconnected
03-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Very astute observation Doug, you are the first to notice that. The judges were on my heals as I went around that '56.

I love the '55/56 Fords and I have a '55 Customline, still in the works. I can't wait for spring.

But honestly... I was a little bit disappointed to see they used an ultra-modern engine instead of a Y-Block. But hey, it's a 'custom'. Maybe the intent was to fill the huge engine bay.

http://home.comcast.net/~mrs.dare/2011-02-26Autorama/DSCN6038.jpg
That's Robin (with her head cut off), just above the RH headlight, in blue.

CLICK HERE (http://home.comcast.net/~mrs.dare/2011-02-26Autorama/) for all the pic's.