PDA

View Full Version : 1964 T-Bird Oil Pump Installation

tharry8
02-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Need some help. My son and I needed to replace the gasket on the oil pan (was leaking). To drop the pan you have to unbolt the oil pump. That was easy...

How do you reinstall the oil pump? The repair manual says to place pump in pan, and raise pan up and rest on the cross member (cross member is in way, so cannot lift pan straight up, that is why the oil pump had to be removed). Somehow we are supposed to install the pump drive shaft into the oil pump and into the distributor shaft hex opening. There is only a couple of inches (maybe 2) to manipulate it. There must be a technique for this.

The other thing I was thinking about is installing the pump without the shaft. Then I could remove the distributor and install the shaft from the top. Any thoughts on this?

Appreciate any help.

redstangbob
02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Looks like you got the best answer already at another site. That's the way to do it. I use 6 small zip ties to locate the pan gasket so it doesn't fall off, just leave them loose and cut them after starting the pan bolts. I don't like dropping the shaft in from the top, if it goes wrong, you'll be sorry! have the front of the car high enough to work, and take your time, it's not that hard. Good luck, Bob C

tharry8
02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Bob - Which answer is the best that you are referring to? Also, good idea on holding the gasket in place!

redstangbob
02-27-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5728

If the motor mounts are old and squished out, you might not get the pan up with the pump in place. Put all your parts in the pan and let it rest on the cross member. A glob of grease will hold the shaft in the distributor. Put the pick up on last if you have a tight squeeze, and I use silicone where the rear main cap and front cover parting lines are. Hope this helps, Bob C

tharry8
02-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Bob. There is less than 2" between the pan and engine, so I think I will have to jack the engine up as well.

tbirds8
02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I took the pan off my 66 without takeing the pump off. Just jacked the motor up as high as it would go and turned the crank to get it to clear. it fell off

YellowRose
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Ummmmm! Before anyone raises their engine up.... Remember to raise the hood first!.... Don't do what one of the village idiots here did while working on my Tbird. His manager told him to open the hood before he started working on replacing my engine mounts. He forgot to, pushed up on the engine and drove the retaining rod that the bat wing nut screws onto to keep the air cleaner locked down, right into the center of my hood, dimpling it. They had to take the hood off and get it fixed, and HE lost his job...

simplyconnected
02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Ray, was that the same idiot that caused an electrical fire under your dash? Or the guy who wiped out your constant voltage regulator (twice)?

I mean, c'mon... who would raise an engine with the hood closed??? Even if he didn't use an overhead crane, at least you get more light under the engine with the hood open.

You might want to disconnect your fuel line and radiator hoses before lifting. Watch your trans lines and fan, too.

scumdog
02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
You might want to disconnect your fuel line and radiator hoses before lifting. Watch your trans lines and fan, too.

Yep, keep an eye on that bottom fan-blade as you lift the motor at the front

As the motor angle increases the bottom blade gets closer to the radiator.

YellowRose
02-28-2011, 06:36 PM
No, that was another of the village idiots who used to work there. That was also the business that the owners son ran Rose into the back of the manager's F-250 pickem up truck and destroyed her front end... I don't do business with them anymore....

tharry8
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! Will take a shot at it this Saturday morning and let you all know how it went!

tharry8
03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I took the pan off my 66 without takeing the pump off. Just jacked the motor up as high as it would go and turned the crank to get it to clear. it fell off

TBird - How did you decide "as high as it would go" was? Did you unbolt anything besides the motor mounts?

Thanks!

tbirds8
03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I forgot i took the top part of the fan shroud off also but ya just the mounts. Keep an eye up top when you do this you'll know when it's high enough. I jacked it up by the bell houseing just go easy plenty of 2x4s

JohnG
03-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Another consideration while removing the pan is strategically rotating the crankshaft so the counterweights are not in the way. If the middle to rear ones are at their lowest point it makes it impossible to get the pan past them. The bolt on the end of the crank takes a 15/16" wrench; an offset box end works pretty good.

John

Astrowing
03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
On my engine ('58 352) you have to be careful that the bellhousing especially the top center bolt doesn't go into the bottom of the AC evaporator housing. That's as high as I can lift it and it is about 1 2x4 above the motor mount. Replace the oil pump shaft and make sure that the clip is adjusted properly so removing the distributor doesn't pull the shaft out of the oil pump. I found that a shaft from a 292 had been shipped to me which is slightly shorter than those from a 352/390 FE.

Astrowing
03-02-2011, 02:39 PM
As far as re-installing the oil pump, I removed the inlet screen assembly from the oil pump and just installed the oil pump and shaft initially without messing with the pan. Then I put the screen in the pan and lifted it up and re-installed the screen to the pump from the right side with a box end.

tbirds8
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
On the 64-66 the motor doesn't have to go that high. There's plenty of room. you do have to turn the crank though that helps big time. And make sure you pull the battery out

tharry8
03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
We reinstalled the oil pump and pan. We jacked up the engine about 1.5 inches (at the motor mounts) and that made a huge difference. We were able to install the pump with pick up line, and then the pan. Thanks for all the great advice.

Note we did not change out the motor mounts. I got a set from the local parts store, and they did not look anything like the originals. I think the engine would have sat too low with the new mounts.

redstangbob
03-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I bet they sold you the flat ones, instead of the 'U' shaped mounts. Glad to hear you got things back together.

tharry8
03-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes, they were the flat ones. They didnt have any other options at the parts house.